- Dec 02, 2019
How Does Neurological Complications Affect Heart Transplant Results?
Overview Of Heart Transplant Life Expectancy:
When a patient undergoes heart transplantation, the first question that strikes his mind is, what is Heart Transplant Life Expectancy? Well, as per the survey over 313 patients in the past three years, the results declare that 80 % of the patients live for a minimum of five years after Heart Transplantation while 65 % of patients have a survival period of above ten years.
But, in situations where complexities are higher, the patients are not able to live even for one year because of neurological complications. Yes, you heard it right; even after successful completion of the surgery, there exist higher chances of Neurological Complications After Heart Surgery.
Now, the question is, what the reason for Heart Transplant Complications is? And what preventive measures can be helpful to avoid neurological complications after heart surgery?
Is there a way to enhance the Heart Transplant Life Expectancy after the surgery is accomplished?
Continue to read the blog to get the appropriate answer for all your queries that relates to cardiac surgery recovery.
Neurological Disorders After Heart Transplant:
Some of the most common perioperative Heart Transplant Neurological Complications are:
- Vocal cord paralysis.
- Delirium or Encephalopathy.
- Brachial plexopathy.
- Cerebral haemorrhage.
- Postanoxic encephalopathy.
- Cerebral infarction.
- Brachial Plexopathy.
- Neuropathy or Critical Myopathy and
- Several other cerebrovascular complications.
Neurological disorders after heart transplant affect almost 50 % of the patients. It is possible to control certain risks, while others prove to be fatal. However, necessary care from doctors, medical team, patient and the family together can reduce the chances of neurological disorders. To improve the Heart Transplant Life Expectancy, not only successful surgery but perioperative medication and rehabilitation are equally important.
Reasons For Neurological Complications After Cardiac Transplantation
If you are planning to undergo, heart transplantation surgery along with cost, procedure and duration of surgery, you also need to know about the complications. Every second patient, after cardiac surgery, suffers from neurological complications. These complications can reduce Heart Transplant Life Expectancy.
To prevent neurological complications, it is first important to know the cause of perioperative heart transplantation risks.
Complications Due To Infection:
- The prime cause of neurological complications after the operation is an infection. Almost one-third of neurological dysfunctions are a result of infection after the surgery.
- All the organisms of low pathogenicity are responsible for neurological complications. It includes protozoa, viruses, fungi, bacterial strain etc.
- Another reason for the perioperative neurological disorder is vascular lesions. Vascular lesions are consequences of:
- Surgical proceedings.
- Cerebral Ischaemia.
- Metabolic Encephalopathies.
- Vertebral Compression Features and
- Acute Psychotic Episodes.
- One more reason for infectious complications and development of neoplasms are immunosuppressive therapies. Immunosuppressive drugs are used to suppress the immune system of the body so that the body can accept the new organ. It completely alters the response of the body to the foreign antigens. In short, it increases the chances of infection and finally, the neurological complications.
Other Reasons Of Neurological Complications:
- Heart Transplant Life Expectancy reduces when the continuous bypass pressure is 70 mmHg. It is a risk in patients who are suffering from arteriosclerosis.
- The other cause of infection in heart patients after the surgery is unstable metabolism of the body due to continuous disturbances in the intensive care unit psychosis.
- Improper maintenance of hygiene also leads to infection in a patient.
- Rejection of organ transplant by the body can be one more reason for infection and neurological complications.
- Apart from infection, blood clotting after the surgery leads to neurological complications after the heart transplantation. The condition can be more complex if the clot travels through the blood and reaches the lung. It can prove to be fatal for the patients, and Heart Transplant Life Expectancy is not even one year in such conditions.
Every disease that has a cause has prevention too. It is possible to prevent the causes of neurological complications after heart transplantation, by taking into practice the do’s and don’t’s suggested by the doctor.
Prevention Of Neurological Complications After Heart Transplantation:
It is possible to prevent neurological complications after heart transplantation, as it doesn’t affect every patient. Some of the possible practices to reduce the chances of Heart Transplant Complications are:
- After the discharge from operation theatre, stay in the rehabilitation centre for the minimum period as per your health condition.
- Do not miss the medicines prescribed by your doctor.
- Maintain healthy dietary habits as per the guidance of your nutritionist.
- Add physical exercises in your daily routine under the assistance of your healthcare expert.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol completely; it is not advisable at least for one year or throughout the recovery period. It may be yet another reason to cause infections that leads to severe complications.
- Make sure along with the immunosuppressive medicines; you intake antiviral as well as antifungal drugs. Immunosuppressive drugs avoid the failure of organ transplant and antiviral and antibacterial drugs can help you get rid of infection.
- One more thing can be helpful to check if there are any chances of complications in your body, is a routine checkup. The medical team does not miss on a regular diagnosis until you are in hospital. In most of the situations, the complications strike the patient after the discharge from the hospital. It may be because of carelessness or missing on medicines and most importantly, not visiting the surgeon at the time of appointment.
- As the cause of most of the neurological complications is an infection, the preventive measures are essential to avoid the cause of infection. You can avoid the infection by maintaining your hygiene. Wash your hands before and after your meal or when you intake medicine. Consider bathing with disinfectant soap and body products. Do not miss out on your oral hygiene. You can acquire the hygiene tips from the doctor, if necessary.
Neurological Complications After Heart Surgery can alter the Heart Transplant Life Expectancy completely. The successful surgery may result in a drastic failure. So, it is important to know the cause of infection and take all the precautionary measures to avoid the same.
Avail the treatment from the top doctors and surgeons, who are not supportive before and during the surgery but take complete follow-up after the discharge. The reason for the failure of most of the heart transplant surgeries is not the failure of surgical proceedings but failure due to perioperative negligence. It may be either because of the doctor or the patient. The success entirely depends on the alertness of the medical team until the patient cross through the recovery period.
The desired recovery can boost the Heart Transplant Life Expectancy after the heart transplantation.