Dr. Gaurav Kumar, New Delhi, Delhi
- Designation : Director: Paediatric Cardiac Surgery
- Qualifications: MBBS,MS
- Experience: 20 Years
- Speciality: Cardiac transplantation in children,Ventricular assists devices in children,Complex congenital heart disease
- Category: Cardiology
- Hospital :Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, New Delhi
- Location : Delhi, Delhi
Dr Gaurav Kumar, a renowned name in the Cardiothoracic Surgery with the experience of over 20 years. He is Director: Paediatric Cardiac Surgery at Fortis Escort Heart Institute, New Delhi. Dr Kumar has performed over 5000 open heart surgeries in newborn, babies and grown-ups with congenital heart defects. He specialises in the treatment of complex congenital heart disease. He has also trained many specialists in cardiac surgery.
Dr Kumar has performed operations in babies like arterial switch operation, double switch operation, total anomalous pulmonary venous connection, arch repair, ASD VSD repair, tetralogy of Fallot repair, truncus arteriosus repair, Rastelli operation and Cone repair and cardiac transplant.
He has more than 30 national & international publication in a reputed journal as is devoted to research for the furtherance of pediatric cardiac surgery In the country.
- Complex congenital heart disease
- Cardiac transplantation in children
- ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation) as bridge to transplantation,
- Ventricular assists devices in children
List of Awards
- Awarded by the National Talent Search Examination national scholarship in 1987.
- Awarded by the Gold Medal in ENT and Ophthalmology in Pune University.
- Awarded by the first place in Maharashtra for the strategic surgical quiz in 1999.
- Awarded by the Bronze medal in National Surgical Quiz 2000.
- Awarded by the Silver Medal in MS Gen Surgery Pune University.
- Awarded by the CS Sadasivam Gold medal in Cardiothoracic Surgery in DNB CTVS.
- Awarded by the Gen Officer in Chief Commendation in 1994, 2004 and 2005 for outstanding surgical expertise and performance in war and peace.
- Awarded by the Vishisht Seva Medal (VSM) by the President of India for outstanding contribution & development in Cardiac Surgery for the babies and children of the soldiers of Indian Army.
- Dr Kumar has developed the pediatric cardiac surgical programme as Faculty at military Hospital Cardiothoracic Centre, Pune.
- He has also established a dedicated pediatric cardiac surgical programme with comparable outcomes at Army Hospital Research and Referral, New Delhi.
- Dr Kumar is a active member of the team for the development of the Cardiac transplant programme in Armed Forces.
- Life Member of Indian Associations of Surgeons
- Life Member of Indian Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons
- Member of the World Society of Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery
- Life Member of Pediatric Cardiac Society of India
- Founder and Secretary of Society of Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgeons (India)
- Dr Gaurav Kumar has over 50 publications and papers presented at various national & international conferences. Medical Breakthrough/Innovation to use and report new drug (Ivabradine) in post congenital cardiac surgery Junctional Ectopic Tachycardia in infants and children.
- Director, Paediatric Cardiac Surgery at Fortis Escort Heart Institute, New Delhi.
- Great experience as Cardiothoracic and General Surgeon in the Indian Army during war and peace.
- Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon, at Armed Forces Medical College and Military Hospital.
- Cardiothoracic at Centre Pune.
- Assistant Professor Cardiothoracic Surgery at Armed Forces MedicalCollege Consultant
- Consultant Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgeon at Armed Forces Medical College and Military Hospital Cardiothoracic Centre Pune
- Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery at Army Hospital Research and Referral New Delhi
- Associate Professor Cardiothoracic Surgery at Armed Forces Medical College and Army Hospital Research and Referral New Delhi
- Director Pediatric Cardiac Surgical Programme at Army Hospital Research and Referral New Delhi
Education & Training
- MBBS from Armed Forces Medical College at Pune
- MS Gen Surgery – Armed Forces Medical College at Pune
- DNB CTVS from National Board of Examinations
- Fellowship Paediatric Cardiac Surgery, from Mater Children's Hospital, at Brisbane Australia