Contact Us +91-7428231453
Dr K R Balakrishnan, Chennai
Dr K R Balakrishnan, Chennai
- Director: Institute of Cardiac Sciences
- 38 Years
- MBBS, MCH,MS
- Heart Transplant, Lung Transplant
- Organ Transplant
- Dr K R Balakrishnan, a most renowned surgeon with extensive experience of over three decades. In Present he is the Director, Institute of Cardiac Sciences at Fortis Hospital, Malar. He is the first doctor to complete over 200 heart transplants and more than 16,000 heart operations independently. Dr Balakrishnan has performed the first permanent artificial heart transplant in India with HeartMate II LVAD & gave the most significant number of heart transplants in India. Dr Balakrishnan has done many surgeries including Heart Transplant, Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implant surgeries on patients from across India as well as from Africa, Russia, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Oman, UAE, Pakistan, Bangladesh and the USA, HVAD pump implant in 2013. Dr K R Balakrishnan, India’s first paediatric heart transplant surgery on a two-year nine-month-old patient from Russia and many more. He revived a man with a heart transplant, 45 minutes after his heart had stopped beating.
- Paediatric Cardiac Surgery
- Heart & Lung Failure
- Heart Transplant
- Lung Transplant
- Peripheral Angioplasty
- Coronary Angioplasty
- Pacemaker Implantation
- Ventricular Assist Device VAD
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting CABG
- Mitral Valve Replacement MVR
- Aortic Valve Replacement AVR
- Ventricular Septal Defect VSD
- Atrial Septal Defect ASD
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement TAVR
- Left Ventricular Assist Device LVAD Implantation
LIST OF AWARDS
- Dr Balakrishnan has performed the first permanent artificial heart transplant in India with HeartMate II LVAD.
- First Prize in surgery (1976) by the Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry, India.
- Dr Balakrishnan has won two patents,
- Patent for Low-Cost Ventricular Assist Device
- Patent for Flexible Polyurethane Membrane
- He also stood first in the area of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (1976) and Medicine, awarded by the University of Madras.
- He received the HiralalGold Medal in Surgery awarded by the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India.
- Awarded by the Double Helical National Health Award, 2017 for Pioneering work in Heart Transplant Surgery in India.
- Awarded by FICCI Special Jury Award 2017.
- Best Doctor Award by the Tamilnadu Government in 2017.
- Dr Balakrishnan supervised 100 free heart surgeries of needy children has performed in Fortis hospital, India funded by some clubs and Aishwarya Trust.
- He also did the first LVAD in 2012 and HVAD in 2013 pump transplant in India.
- He has performed several first cardiac surgeries in India that includes the 2-year-old Russian kid (first pediatric) heart transplant.
- Director, Institute of Cardiac Sciences at Fortis Hospital, Malar.
- Senior Consultant at Railway Hospital, Perambur, in Chennai.
- Professor and Head of Cardio-Thoracic and Vascular Surgery at Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai.
- Observer, at Oregon Health Sciences University and St. Vincent Hospital, Portland, USA.
- Senior Registrar, at Green Lane Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- MBBS, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry in 1976.
- MS, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi in 1980.
- MCh (Cardiothoracic Surgery) King Edward Memorial Hospital and Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College, Mumbai in 1982.
- Fellowship, Oregon Health Sciences University and St. Vincent Hospital, Portland, the USA in 1990.
- Chennai - India.